Covid 19 Stimulus Bill Signed Into Law December 27, 2020
- $600 in direct payments to both adults and children;
- $300 a week in extra unemployment benefits for 10 weeks;
- $25 billion in rental assistance, extending the moratorium on evictions;
- $280 billion for new Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) loans;
- $15 billion in grants for theaters and other performance venues;
- $13 billion in additional food stamp and nutrition funding; and
- $30 billion to purchase more COVID-19 vaccines
PPP Alert: Round 2
If you received an initial PPP loan, you can qualify for a second round (called a “second draw”) of PPP tax-free money.
To qualify for the second-draw PPP money, you must
- have 300 or fewer employees;
- have suffered a 25 percent or greater loss in revenue during at least one quarter of 2020 when compared to 2019; and
- have already used your original PPP money (or be planning to use it soon).
The mechanics of the second-draw PPP loan amount follow the rules that apply to the original (first-draw) PPP loan, with some modifications. The overall limits work as follows:
- The loans are capped at $2 million or less.
- If you are not a hotel or restaurant (NAICS code 72), you identify your average monthly payroll for either 2019 or the trailing 12 months, and then multiply it by 2.5 to find your loan amount.
- If you are a hotel or restaurant, you multiply by 3.5.
During a period of your choice, beginning eight weeks from the origination date of the loan and ending 24 weeks after the origination date, you must use 60 percent or more of the monies for defined payroll in order to achieve 100 percent forgiveness.
Expenses that can qualify for forgiveness include:
- Interest on mortgage obligations
- Operations expenditures
- Property damage
- Supplier costs
- Worker protection
And finally, keep these three thoughts in mind:
- Act fast, because this money goes in a hurry.
- The incoming PPP loan monies are tax-free.
- Expenses paid with PPP loan monies that are forgiven are tax-deductible.
If you would like to discuss how this new legislation will impact you or discuss this second PPP draw opportunity, please don’t hesitate to reach out to our office.