QuickBooks is an essential accounting tool for small businesses that can ensure you are on top of your accounting activities. This article discusses a few tips for using the service, along with how you can get professional help with your QuickBooks work. But first, let’s define QuickBooks.
What is QuickBooks?
QuickBooks is an accounting software package for small and medium-sized businesses that was developed by Intuit. The software helps businesses deal with a variety of accounting-related needs. For small businesses, QuickBooks is most commonly used for the following tasks, according to its website:
- Bill Management
- Business Funding
- Cash Flow
- Income & Expenses
- Invoice & Payments
- Live Bookkeeping
- Multi-Channel Commerce
- Mileage Tracking
- Project Profitability
- Sales and Sales tax
- Tag Transactions
- Tax Deductions
- Time Tracking
Tips For Using QuickBooks:
We recommend getting professional help for your QuickBooks needs to ensure you take advantage of everything the service offers, but we’ll discuss that more below. First, here are five tips to keep in mind that many small businesses forget while using QuickBooks:
- Take Time to Understand the Basics: QuickBooks has so many features that it can be easy to get distracted. Because of this, it is important that you prioritize learning the basics of the platform before you explore all of its features. Many businesses make the mistake of getting too excited at the beginning, and they brush off learning how to use the platform the right way.
- Keep Client Records Up To Date: With all the features QuickBooks offers, many small businesses forget one of the basic principles of working with any customer-related software program: Always keep your client records up to date. After all, you cannot take advantage of everything QuickBooks has to offer if you don’t have the right information for your clients.
- Customize Your Quickbooks Layout: Since Quickbooks will be the backbone of your accounting activities, it is important to have a site layout that works for you. Fortunately, Quickbooks allows you to customize your layout, and we recommend taking the time to ensure every aspect of your site layout is set up to optimize your Quickbooks experience based on your specific needs.
- Be Careful With Spell Check: This may seem odd, but it is important to keep a close eye on the spell check feature in QuickBooks. While it is important to ensure your spelling and grammar are accurate, remember that the program will think that many company and client names are spelled incorrectly. This is important to keep in mind because you don’t want to “correct” the spelling of a client or company and have that new name be incorrect. Again, while this may seem odd, many companies have misused this function of QuickBooks and have landed with inaccurate information in their database as a result.
- Be Aware of Double Entries: With QuickBooks, it is important that you be aware of any client, company, or transaction that may be entered twice, as this could impact the accuracy of your work. Fortunately, QuickBooks as a tool to deal with this and the company explains how to manage this here.
Get Professional Help for QuickBooks:
As mentioned above, we recommend getting professional help for QuickBooks because ensuring your accounting activities are accurate and efficient is crucial for your business.
At Allman & Allman, we would be happy to help you with any of your QuickBooks needs. We have a QuickBooks Pro Advisor with 25 years of experience on our team who is ready to ensure you use QuickBooks to optimize your business as much as possible.
Get Help With Allman & Allman:
With the full range of accounting services we provide, we are equipped with the expertise for which you may be in need. Seeking guidance from our firm will provide you the opportunity to work with individuals armed with broad and deep financial knowledge, able to provide advice on a wide range of issues. As a full-service public accounting firm, our professional services will surely help you succeed and thrive. Please feel free to reach out to Allman & Allman APAC via email at Genna@apapd.com or via phone at 760-406-5056 to discuss your situation and find out how we can help you grow. We look forward to hearing from you.